Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 02:11:41 +0200
From:      "Ion Mihai Tetcu" <itetcu@go.ro>
To:        dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-Server, Win98-Client

In 5 Oct 99, la 10:51, Darren WIebe a scris:

> > Questions:
> > 1. Is all the hardware supported ? Do i have to rebuild the kernel for
> > processors (and how) ?
>
> I'm afraid I don't know...
>
> > 2. Can you point me to some good (for a beginner) Samba
> > resources?
>
> Have you looked at www.samba.org??

Yep; i was asking if you, the ones who now samba better then i,
happen to know other interesting web pages about it.

> > 3. We will have a dial-up connection to the ISP, and I want the
> > server to be able to dial when someone on the win98 boxes want to
> > connect.
>
> ppp -alias -demand isp,  will work for that, look in the handbook.
>
> > 4. Depends on the user of the win98 boxes, the connection
> > will/won`t be done or it will be done between, let`s say 23h and 7 h .

Sorry for not being clear enough. I am wondering what is the best
(read: the most transparent for the users of the win98 computers)
way to authentificate them in order to provide or not the connection
to the net. I will have two groups of users: one that will be allowed
to connect at any time and the other that will be allowed only
between some hours.

> > 5. The server will check the ISP for new mail every 2 h.
> /usr/ports/fetchmail  - I use this, it works very well.
>
> > 6. How can i record the IP addresses that the users acces from the
> > win98 boxes ? We want to see if he`s gest playing around on the
> > net or he is also doing some work.
>
> > 7. Tell me about your favorite (free) HTML editor under FreeBSD.
> > Until now I`ve worked with Netscape, HomeSite, HotMetalPro and
> > Notepad for the web design and i would like to swich under
> > FreeBSD for the web design work.
>
> Netscape runs under FreeBSD with linux compatability installed.
> >
> > Merci for the answers, wish you the best,
> > Ionut
> >
> > Ion Mihai Tetcu
> > itetcu@go.ro
>
> Hope this helps