Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:09:21 +0530
From:      Subhro <subhro.kar@gmail.com>
To:        bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you know how to install ports? (like vmware3)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:03:15 -0400, bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net> wrote:

> For example, I have been trying to install the vmware3 port - and I find
> all kinds of tidbits all over the web about little things that need to
> be done to get it to work.  The information sometimes covers version
> 2.0, sometimes 3.2, and sometimes 4.5. If someone just goes in to
> /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3 and does a "make install", how would they
> know what else to do?

The best part of the FreeBSD port collection is, you dont need to know
what else to do. The port tree is designed in such a way that if you
try to install a particular port, then the system would fetch all the
dependancies automatically unless you specifically ask it not to do
so. Just go through the vmware manual to get an idea about how to
configure vmware. You need not worry about the installation.

Regards
S.

--
Subhro Sankha Kar