Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:40:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Hanai Hiroyuki <hanai@astec.co.jp>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Warning: SGML doc changes

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Hanai Hiroyuki wrote:

> I've not been heard about `instant' and I'm wondering whether it can
> handle Japanese character or not.
> So, I want to use your new tools on our Japanese documents.

It appears to handle the HTML transform, but look at
http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/japanized-files/obj/handbook.html
to verify.  The ascii and postscript transform fall over when
they hit groff.  What sort of tweaks does groff need to work?
Are they the sort of tweaks that could be added to the FreeBSD's
groff?

I know very little about multibyte character processing but I
suspect instant's handling is more accident than intentional.
Instant doesn't really do much with the actual content.  However
it does a little more than sgmlsasp did so there is some
potential for mangling.  I'm about to go down to the library and
check out "Understanding Japanese Information Processing" (Publ.
O'Reailly) to educate myself on this matter.

> But, Docbook seems a little bit complicated for me. It is almost caos ;-)
> Is there any possiblity to define our DTD as a subset of Docbook?

In practice, actual Docbook markup isn't more complex, but there
certainly are a lot of tags to choose from.  What I'll do when a
changeover takes place is make a short style-guide/example to
illustrate the more common elements and markup tasks.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================