Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2008 23:12:08 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Let me re-phrase this: [was:Re: which font previewer?]

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:27:08 -0700
Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

> 	i've spent hours looking around (both in ports and via Google)
> 	and haven't found a font viewer that will let me preview all
> 	the fonts i've collected.  some are ghostscriptt, others are ttf;
> 	others are labeled "system fonts"  and the others don't show up
> 	on the utilities i *have* found. is there a viewer out ther that
> 	will display all fonts?

Hey Gary,
i think you are looking for the equivalent of  some software in Mac / OSX ...
from adobe maybe? i have an image in my mind of a font portfolio...  Corel had
(has? havent touched it in a decade+) a similar tool in Win32..

anyway, I assume you have used xfontsel, which seems to do what you want but
uses rather old style widgets.

Are all the file types you need supported by xfs ? If so, just install them and
access them directly from the font server... maybe even spend the time putting
together a PDF with "the quick brown fox..." in each font ? I wonder if TeX or
even some pdf library could be scripted to generated this automatically...

anyway... enough blabbering...

/usr/ports show the following promising tools:

x11-fonts/fontmatrix *
x11-fonts/gnome-font-sampler
deskutils/gucharmap *
print/fontforge (an editor, actually, but if u can edit, u can see them ;) )
print/gfontview
x11/xfd
x11-fonts/tkfont
x11-fonts/xlsfonts

there may be a few more..

* I am  installing these 2 now just to check them out.. gucharmap is ok,
nothing wow. I can't  tell how much coverage of all fonts installed it has...

let us know what you go with in the end..
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I abhor a system designed for the 'user', if that word is a coded pejorative
meaning 'stupid and unsophisticated'. Ken Thompson

Warned.