Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:48:09 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Applications

FWIW;

I have had good success having my ports committed for a good reason: my ports
usually cover a need that many people share. Everyone, for example, wants to be
able to use their ghostscript fonts on X. I understand committers are also
volunteers and I don't have any particular interest in pushing them to do
something about my ports, but the applications that get committed earlier somehow
represent general interest of the community. I sometimes look at freshmeat
myself, but there also so much junk coming in, that I thank we don't carry all
that bloat in the, already tight, CDs.

I suggest that you submit the port for the utility and reference the PR number of
the library for it in the new PR. No one is interested in committing a library
unless it's used for something, and there are many non-committers that like to
test the "fresh" ports. There are one or two libraries that I submitted sometime
ago in order to build an Rlab port: nowadays I have no interest in porting Rlab,
but if I had sent the complete Rlab port, it would have probably been committed.

OTOH, if the port builds and work correctly don't expect much feedback :-).

    Pedro.