Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:10:56 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gprof's broken in 7-CURRENT

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Nikos Ntarmos wrote:
>>
>    I'll be sure to give it a toss when I get back home. I'd expect a
> reply sometime tomorrow morning (PST)..
> Thanks again for all of your work!
> -Garrett

    Still doesn't work with pkg_install, unless I'm doing something
incorrectly. Says something like '{blah} not in executable format' when
I try and execute gprof as follows:

gprof pkg_info.gmon

    I think I chased this problem down to an inconsistency with GNU
binutils before, but please note that I haven't had an opportunity to
update my system for ~2 months (don't have direct access to the
Internet; have to traffic files back and forth via my iBook and I've
been busy lately with other things..).
    So I'm running 8-CURRENT, updated as of sometime 3rd week of October..
    Also, depending on what you're trying to compile for profiling
purposes, you will have to recompile all dependent libraries, not just
libc. I had to recompile libfetch and libarchive for pkg_install,
otherwise stuff segfaulted and coredumped every time I ran the profiled
apps.
Thanks,
-Garrett