Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 13:03:53 +0100
From:      "Darren Evans" <darren@profero.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   copying from a nfs mounted filesystem onto a vinum volume crashes

Hi Greg,

what if a remote volume is nfs mounted not on the vinum volume
(actually mounted on /mnt) and then a cp -r /mnt/software /raid/software/
is performed.  /raid obviously being the vinum raid directory in a 1+0
configuration.  This actually crashes our box.  I cannot SIGKILL the cp
command and have to /sbin/reboot to restore the system.

Are there any nfs/vinum issues at present?  Or am I being stupid?

I'm running 3.4-STABLE/SMP with the latest kernel tree and 2
Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter controllers.  cvsup'd yesterday
with *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_3.  I'm led to believe this tag is
correct for 3.4-STABLE but not 100% confident about that.

The drives are SEAGATE ST118273LW.

Here's my vinum.conf
darren@bod darren$ cat /etc/vinum.conf
drive d1 device /dev/da1e
drive d2 device /dev/da2e
drive d3 device /dev/da3e
drive d4 device /dev/da4e
        volume raid setupstate
                plex org striped 256K
                        sd drive d1 size 0
                        sd drive d2 size 0
                plex org striped 256K
                        sd drive d3 size 0
                        sd drive d4 size 0

I've been reading / writing / deleting a 70 meg archive onto the RAID volume
without any problems at all.  It's just NFS that causes the headache and
put it into a loop of hangs :-(

Once i've "rebooted" and try to copy files onto /raid
after the system crash, it hangs again in a loop :-(

I have no idea what or when this loop is reset.

vinum list -r also shows everything up as ok.

On Friday, 28 April 2000 at 20:32:44 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Hi,
> We need to set up an NFS fileserver which will serve around 10-20
machines.
> The hardware would preferably be Intel, for cost reasons, though
> fairly high-end (say a Pentium III 550+ MHz, 256 MB RAM, SCSI disks).
> The expected exported volume would be perhaps 50-60 GB.
> Is it a good idea to export a vinum volume over NFS?

Greg Wrote...
>NFS doesn't know about the volume, it just knows about the file
>system.  There's no reason why it shouldn't be on a Vinum volume.

many thanks,
Darren

--
 Darren Evans          Tel: +44(0)20 7700 9960
 Systems, Profero Ltd  Fax: +44(0)20 7700 9961