Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:17:01 -0500
From:      Vinny Abello <vinny@tellurian.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock reverts to epoch on boot?

At 10:04 PM 2/13/2006, Vinny Abello wrote:
>At 09:49 PM 2/13/2006, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>Vinny Abello wrote:
>>[ ... ]
>> > I may try doing a cvsup of source and rebuilding again. My make.conf
>> > settings are pretty tame:
>> >
>> > CPUTYPE=pentium4
>> > CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe
>> > COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>>
>>Remove the CPUTYPE declaration, or at least decrease it to just "pentium".
>
>OK, I can try that. Come to think of it, I did have it set to "p4"
>previously and I believe it was working. Why would this make a
>difference? Also, I just booted in single user mode and the clock is
>correct. Does this likely confirm it is a problem when I did a
>buildworld with that CPUTYPE set?

Nevermind. I just answered my own question. I should have RTFM more
carefully. :)

If CPUTYPE is defined in your /etc/make.conf, make sure to use the
         "?=" instead of the "=" assignment operator, so that buildworld can
         override the CPUTYPE if it needs to.

I am thinking if I change to

CPUTYPE?=pentium4

I will be ok. Does that sound correct or am I still barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!!

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny@tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain