Date:      Wed,  8 Sep 1999 09:56:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   impressed w/laptop support in -current

Hi,

I just wanted to say "thanks" to the people who have been working on
getting PCCARD support into -current.

I just installed the PCCARD version of the Aug 27th snapshot of
-current onto an old Dell Lattitude Lm.  I'm very impressed that the
installation found my 3c589d ethernet card & basically "just worked."
It even managed to obtain its network info via DHCP on a DSL link.  My
sole disappointment was that the only obvious way to regain pcic
support (w/o rebuilding the kernel) after rebooting after the install
was to copy the kernel off the dist. floppy & onto the local disk.
Then I still needed to rebuild a kernel because that one didn't have
any pty's built in.

It seems like a clear violation of POLA to install via a PCCARD kernel
but have a non-PCCARD kernel when you reboot.  So perhaps there should
be a kernel.PCCARD built from i386/conf/PCCARD in the base
distribution & perhaps sysinstall should be smart enough to copy it to
/kernel when doing an install from the PCCARD floppies.  This might
keep some newbies from blowing their feet off, at least.

Anyway, I'm impressed that I can run straight FreeBSD on my laptop &
not get forced into PAO.

Thanks!

Drew