Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:32:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange message -- MARK --?

What is going on in my lab? Since I recently powered all machines up, several of
them, but not all of them, have a mysterious message after the login promt, like
this:

login:              -- MARK --
                -- MARK --

When I pressed enter the normal login:-prompt came back. I don't see how the
second line with -- MARK -- could appear, since the linefeed on the first line
should have given an intruder a Password:-prompt.

Is -- MARK -- a debug message? Or is MARK a person happily cracking away inside
my boxes? (a 'who' gave only 'root' on the machines)

The client machines are connected to a local 192.168-net with a 3.4-STABLE
server between them and the world. The message does not appear on the server.

The server had its last cvsup and make world at 29MAR2000, while the clients are
3.2-RELEASE (usenix '99 edition) compiled at 18MAY1999.

The entire lab has moved this week and the messages appeared only some 10
minutes after powerup in the new labs.

I have never seen this before in the lab and am VERY curious about it.

Cheers,
Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se