Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 17:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        TURLOUGH FITZPatric <106154.3334@compuserve.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install problems

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, TURLOUGH FITZPatric wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am experiencing some problems while installingg 2.1R. I am trying to use
> a partition occupied by win95 which contains the required files to install
> onto in another partition. There seams to be problems doing this and I get
> a lot of :
>
> write failure on transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 10240 bytes)
> Unable to transfer the bin distribution from wd0s1

I believe this indicates a geometry or conflicting install.

Try this:

1)  Use DOS FDISK to blow away the FreeBSD partition.
2)  Make a small primary DOS partition on that disk.
3)  Install on the disk, deleting the DOS partition you just made in the
fdisk editor.

> I copied the files onto the win95 partition from the CD as the cd seams to
> be unsupported(could this be a problem).

What kind of CD is it?  ATAPI is supported, somewhat; it's always worth a
try.  I would try 2.1.5-RELEASE if you can get it.

> In vt2 there are errors like
>
> gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> /stand/cpio: premature end of file

Try enabling debug mode to see where it's barfing exactly.