Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:15:20 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
To:        Alexander Dubinin <alex-m@nstl.nnov.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which ISDN card is better?

Alexander Dubinin <alex-m@nstl.nnov.ru> wrote:

>  I need to find ISDN card, what can work with BRI ISDN line (At full
>  128K transfer rate, and may be more - with compression) and is
>  supported by FreeBSD. That cards you can recommend?

isdn4bsd, which is part of 3.1-RELEASE and later, supports a large number
of cheap ISA and PCI cards.  It's PPP implementation doesn't (yet) support
compression, but otherwise you can run two 64 kbps channels at full rate on
even an 486/33.

>  Next, I need to make connection via ISDN network between two local
>  networks, and plan to use FreeBSD for it. Is any inmpementation of
>  VPN software available? I want to use PTPP with dial-on-demand, and,
>  maybe, encryption. Have anyone good advice for this?

Why would you need a VPN to just connect two nets via ISDN? Just put the
two maschines into the two nets, and hook them up, so they route over the
ISDN link.

HTH,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18