Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:32:50 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The mysterious ls -ol option

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:57:10AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:44:08PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > > On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:32:57PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > Mmm, not a widely used feature I see.
> >
> > There are 259,621 files on this particular system I am on at the moment.
> > /kernel is the only one of them with any of the flags set :)
>
> If that's true, your system has probably been broken into, and you
> should reinstall it from known safe media. The system normally has
> other files that have a flag set.

No, would not have thought so, it is a very new installation, and
I check the firewall (which is pretty tight) every day, but I will look
into it further...thanks for the warning anyway.

> > How comes I don't know about this ?
>
> Because it's not a standard Unix feature, and you haven't done
> anything - like elevated the security level of a machine and tried to
> install a kernel - that would cause you to notice them.

Ok, I get that, I was thinking "I ought to know what this is.."

> There was a debate - on -hackers, I believe - about whether or not
> flags actually enhanced security in any way. I think the "yes" side
> won, or at least won enough that various things are flagged as
> unchangable. The nodump flag is also useful if you keep things like CD
> images around across dumps.

Well, since I only just learnt about it, too early for me to form a
view..though doubtless I will eventually :)

> If you don't elevate the security level, then the only flag that is
> really useful is nodump. If you do, then you can't turn off the schg
> and sappnd flags, and your system is slightly more secure.
>
> Oh yeah - I think the arch flag exists for FAT file systems, but I
> never used it on those either.

Ok, thanks for the explanation Mike.
Another thing I can note in my little book :)

I did look into these security level things a bit, they seem to be
advantageous I would guess on a static system where high security is
regarded as vital, but a bit of a pain if you are setting systems up and
changing things around a lot, which is what I am doing on my network
here. This network will eventually be more widely accessible outside,
but in a very restricted setup, mostly for mail archiving and some web
publication, and possibly for some educational use. But that time is
some way off yet, I will have to consider security more closely then I
guess.

--
Regards
Cliff