Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:18:50 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome2, gnome-pilot, and capplets (and evolution)

Hi,

I have a system running 4.7p2, with the XFree86-6, gnome2,
gnome2-fifth-toe, and evolution [meta]ports installed (built as
packages on a server, then pkg_add'ed to the workstation.

I've made a symbolic link from /dev/ttyd0 to /dev/pilot.

I can use (e.g.) pilot-address and it happily talk to the pilot.

I configured gpilotd the hard way, I stumbled on

  /usr/X11R6/bin/gpilotd-control-applet --druid

which walked me through some choices, though it failed to actually
talk to the pilot.  However, once it finished, I could start gpilotd
by hand and it will talk to pilot when I push the hotsync button.

But, gpilotd does not see any conduits configured (there are a bunch
in /usr/X11R5/share/gnome/gnome-pilot/conduits, include some from
evolution), and I can't seem to get either gpilot-applet or
gpilotd-control-applet to run, they both bitch about:

  "** WARNING **: Unable reach the control-center." [sic]
  "Exiting..."

If i start Evolution on the command line and ask it to configure
conduits, I get the same error message ("strings `which evolution` |
grep pilot" suggests that it's just calling gpilotd-control-applet.

It also seems that there is supposed to be some pilot stuff somewhere
in the control-center, but I can't seem to find it.

I don't really understand what gnome's right, left, and gripping hands
are doing as the various parts all talk to each other, but I kind of
suspect that maybe?:

 a) the gnome pilot port installed the doo-hickeys for the control
    panel in the place that gnome 1 expects them?

 b) there's something incomptible between gnome pilot and gnome 2?

 c) I just need to perform some magic that I've missed somewhere?

I tried whipping up a .gnome/gnome-pilot.d/conduits0 file based on
some comments on a web page about an alpha version of GnoCal, but I
clearly don't know what I'm doing.

I'd love to have it all work as intended, but I'd be ok with just
being able to sync the palm calendar with the evolution calendar.

Anyone have any help?

g.