Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:29:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading/CVSUPping with bad ISP connection

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Doug Barton wrote:

>> I very strongly suggest building a new kernel, installing it, and rebooting
>> *before* building world.  It is much easier to recover from a broken kernel
>> than a broken world.  New kernels work with old worlds, but the reverse
>> isn't always true.
>
>	It's also not true that new kernels always work with old
>worlds. Especially in the 3.x branch. I just ran into this today where a
>a kernel built from sources cvsup'ed to -Stable today would not run in a
>3.3-Release (from CD) world.
>
>	There are still a lot of build issues to be worked out before one
>method or another becomes the law of the land. Take a look at
>http://freebsd.simplenet.com/upgrade.html for a slightly out of date
>version of my take on the upgrade from source process.

OK, i read the docs on the site and now i'm *really* confused.  I usually
make a new kernel before a new world.  Also, i haven't really done any
merging or in any way touched /etc after building a new world.  Maybe i
get away with that because i have a very simple single-user desktop system
and i've only been tracking -STABLE since 3.2.  Should i expect a lot more
work for 3.4, or any major revision after this one?

-jm