Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:28:13 -0400
From:      ydg@cox.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDRom able to play DVD movies

I think ive heard thru the same grapevine as you about such a
contraption. i have no idea if something of this nature exists or not.
and initial logic makes me think [exactly as previously stated] cd
drives, are hardware for cd's. and only dvd's drive has the necessary
extra hardware to read dvd's.
However, what ive heard is there's some kind of tweaked emulation
under windows, which tricks the system into thinking the cdrom drive
is a dvd drive, and the system compensates for the work the drive cant
actually do [perhaps some kind of 'on the fly decode/read']. no idea
if such a beast exists. and with today's prices, its probably easier
to simply buy a dvd drive. :)

yussef