Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:27:57 -0600
From:      russ@ism.net (Russ Pagenkopf)
To:        dshin@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Dongil Shin), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot floppy problem with Intel Atlantis motherboard (Mach64)

At 8:57 AM 4/24/96, Dongil Shin wrote:
>        I am having problem with boot floppy (for installation).
>The booting process goes ok until it uncompresses the kernel. Then,
>suddenly the monitor garbles and goes black. My configuration is
>
>1) Intel Atlantis Motherboard with ATI Mach64 chip (2M DRAM)

I had this problem too, and here's the solution. There's a conflict between
the scan for serial ports three and four and the ATI chip, so here's how to
fix it. When you boot from the floppy and it asks for

Boot:

type '-c' (no quotes) and when the prompt comes up type 'visual'. This will
allow you to tell the kernel what not to scan as you've got a conflict
problem. Specifically you need to disable the probe for *all* of the serial
ports. This will allow you to then boot the machine.

Next you'll need to edit sio.c and comment out the two lines that handle
serial ports three and four (they're a ways down the listing).

Finally, you need to build a custom kernel. This kernel will contain the
new sio.c that will automatically *not* scan for serial ports three and
four and this will fix your problem.

If you need more help, give me a shout. After all the help I got on this
one it's the least I can do.

> p.s. Win95 and DOS are ok.

This means nothing, Unix is muchmuchmuch more picky ;-)

rus

Russ Pagenkopf  (russ@ism.net)
Join the revolution!
<http://www.ism.net/~russ/dic.html>;