Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:11:10 -0800
From:      Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Durable/serious arm hardware ?

karl@denninger.net said:
> I have a number of RPI2 devices in production use running process-control
> type things and none of them has had stability problems.  I *have* had SD
> card issues on occasion, but that's not the machine itself..... of the RPI2s
> I've got in use I've had zero failures and no stability problems at all.

You can get in trouble if your power isn't solid.  Basically, using a micro
USB connector for power is a kludge.

The Adafruit wall warts are speced at 5.1 V for a little extra.  You can get
USB cables with heavier gauge wire.

If you steal power from a PC, the spec limit is 500 ma, and that only after
you negotiate.  Default is 100 ma.  So basically, all bets are off.

If you use one of the little USB inline power meters, that drops another 0.1
volt or so.

I had troubles with a cheap power cube.  It had 2 USB sockets.  I thought I
was going to save on outlets, but it was fat enough so that you couldn't put
2 of them next to each other in a power strip.  It worked at first, then it
aged or the software changed or ... Then the first Pi would die when I
plugged in the second one.  Drove me nuts for a while.

-------

Other than that, they work OK for me.  It I was planning to install one for
production, I'd pay a lot of attention to SD card life time.

For light load, the limiting factor on the uptime is updating the kernel.  (or wall power, or ...)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.