Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 13:50:12 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup Makefile main.c tzmenu.c

> > > Basically, having symlink outside /etc is bad idea.
> > > Especially pointing to probably mounted /usr: your system date
> > > can be very damaged when remote NFS hangs on /usr/share f.e.
> >
> > Like /usr/sbin/rmt, or /usr/share/misc/terminfo, you mean? :-)
>
> Missing or corrupting or hanging on (via NFS) any of those files not critical,
> but missing/corrupting/hanging on /etc/localtime is very critical,
> because even RTC clock can be corrupted.

Umm, what would be causing all these problems? Surely if the localtime
file is missing then everything should just think it's GMT. If you're in a
single user situation with only root mounted I don't see why this would be
such a major problem?

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155