Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:30:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: found dirty cache page 0xf046f1c0

:Peter Wemm wrote:
:> Dual p5-90 w/ 48M ram, doing a major cvs update/merge (which mostly got
:> lost):
:>
:> panic: found dirty cache page 0xf046f1c0
:...
:
:This is possibly a false alarm..  Something wierd was happening.  I cleaned
:out the kernel and reconfigured with NFS static (it was being loaded) and
:it seems to boot OK.  At least, I'm not getting console corruption (random
:baud rate changes) and the SMP mutex being broken and both cpu's entering
:the kernel at once.....  I think I'll blame it on the 15 hour electrical
:storm. :-]
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter

    An old nfs module would almost certainly not work with the new
    kernel without at least a recompile.  I'd definitely recommend
    keeping the major modules compiled in rather then dynamically
    loaded, just on principle.  In fact, in all my time at BEST and
    all my time playing with FreeBSD, I have *never* used any
    dynamic module except for the linux compatibility thingy, and
    even that was only a fluke.  If you can compile it in, compile
    it in.

    But, keep a watch on it.  I didn't have an SMP box to test
    the new VM stuff on so it's possible there's something going
    on there.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>