Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:15:14 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        cpghost@cordula.ws, paulbeard@mac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network messaging

At 03:58 PM 11/19/2003, Cordula's Web wrote:

>Is ping not enough? An ICMP ECHO REPLY is a specific reply,
>directed only to the hosts that sent the ICMP ECHO REQUEST
>in the first place. It's not a prespecified _text_ reply,
>but it is a reply nonetheless.
>
>Of course, if you need more information, you need a
>client/server implementation.

Ralph, my experience as a web developer and newness to system
administration directs me to see this in terms of an intranet. I think
installing Apache on the network server and then using a simple CGI app
would provide much more flexibility for future enhancements and the warm
fuzzy feeling that comes from writing apps on app software rather than on
the system level.

Or something. ;)

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site