Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:46:50 -0400 (AST)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I "format" 4 mm DAT tapes

Hello

I have an HP C1533A tape unit installed on a  FreeBSD 2.1.5 machine.  It
works fine most of the time, but it fails to recognize certain tapes.  A
simple 'mt erase' gives:

st0(ncr0:330) MEDIUM ERROR asc:9,0 Track following error field
replaceable unit:2

Now, I have about 20 tapes for which this error occurs, and would like to
know if there's any way I can 'ressurect' them.  I don't need to recover
any of the data that may be there, I just want to format them, or somehow
reinitialize them for use.

Antonio
"I myself have always disliked being called a 'genius'.  It is fascinating
 to notice how quick people have been to intuit this aversion and avoid
 using the term"  --  John Lanchester,  in  "The Debt to Pleasure"