Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 19:01:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk>
Cc:        XF <gin@dds.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A basic question about C programming (sloved)

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 08:14:12PM +0800, Alex Kwan wrote:

> Thank you! it is ok now, but why?
>
> > > I compile it with "cc -o inform inform.c", when the compilation is
> > > finished, I have got the file "inform", but it can't execute and
> > > got the error "inform: Command not found", What is the problem of
> > > me?
> >
> > try ./inform

Your PATH does not include the current working directory, if you do not add
it there.  For instance, on my machine I can see that:

	% echo $PATH
	/sbin:/bin:{lots of dirs trimmed}:~/bin

But nowhere on the path can one find the `.' directory.  You can always add
the directory to your path, by adding to your .cshrc the following:

	set path = ( $path . )

But this is not a recommended way of solving the problem, since it creates
various security issues, when you do it for the superuser.  Just think of the
good ol' trojan called /tmp/mroe and the following commands:

	# cd /tmp
	# ls -l | mroe

Ciao,
Giorgos.