Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:35:51 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
>>>  Guys, I need some input about what kind of _new_ printer to buy
>>>  for my desktops.  I'd like to hang the printer off my FBSD box;
>>>  my Ubuntu platform is probably too far away. At least 3 meters.
>>>

>> A few months ago I got a Samsung ML-2571N for well under $100 at
>> Fry's.  It is small, light, fast; has a built-in 10/100 network
>> port, handles PostScript, and speaks native lpr
> What is lpr? Usually printers speak Post Script or PCL printer command
> language in which case you need a driver.
> LPD, LPRng, and CUPS are different spooling systems.
> Did you attach the printer to a computer or is acting as a free
> standing printer server.

There is a lpr driver by Brother for Linux. Brother and Canon have
binary blob drivers. Did you use that driver may be?
Does anyone know if those binary blobs can be useful for anything on
FreeBSD. They appear to be wrappers for standard
Ghost Script drivers. I noticed also that some drivers for older Brother
printers are removed from Ghost Script 7.0 and 8.0.
It appears that they are useful for some of the newest and very solid
monochromatic laser Brother printers which go for less than $50 on the
NewEgg. Maybe the port maintainer should edit make file so that they
compile.

Cheers,
Predrag