Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Maury Markowitz <mmarkowitz@ceiss.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: An article from Microsoft

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Maury Markowitz wrote:

>   The week before that (actually three weeks ago now) a single message in a
> remote POP mailbox stopped the entire mail system from working.  Whenever it
> attempted to get mail from that mailbox, the MAPI DLL would start taking up
> 99% of the CPU - forever.  The machine slowed to a crawl.  Now do they
> propose that making all mail retrieval go through a single DLL is a good
> idea for stability?  And why is it that Netscape had no problem reading it
> (thus clearing the logjam)?  The IT guys had no idea what to do, they wanted
> to do a re-install or suggested I use something else for POP because this
> sort of thing happened "all the time".

There was an article on bugtraq a month or so back which claimed that one
of the M$ mail products (probably outlook) would hang like this if it
received a message which was fragmented such that the first character in
the fragment was a '+' (I think). This sounds like an incredible protocol
layering violation if true, but I can't remember whether anyone else
replied confirming it.

Kris

----
XOR for AES -- join the campaign!