Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:26:20 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        Henning Wickhorst <hw@thor.shn.com>, mark@lindhard.demon.co.uk (Mark Bowyer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, hw@thor.shn.com (Henning Wickhorst)
Subject:   Re: NCSA Telnet and FreeBSD 2.0.5

>> I'm trying to use NCSA Telnet 2.3.08 to login into a machine running FreeBSD
>> 2.0.5-950622-SNAP.
>I have the same problem here, using an older SNAP.
>
>I think the reason is a bug in NCSA telnet. The file 'bugs.txt',
>whitch is shipped with NCSA telnet, says that the linemode negotiation
>is buggy.

It is fynny that only FreeBSD and NetBSD find this bug. Not Sun Solaris,
HP/UX nor Linux.

>Are you sure that it runs well with Linux ?

These NCSA Telnet and PCTCP Software terminal emulator problems appear ONLY
in FreeBSD and NetBSD!!!! I have here micros using NCSA Telnet and PCTCP
Software emulators and our HP, Sun and Linux hosts have no problems with
those hosts - only FreeBSD 2.0-2.0.5R and NetBSD 0.9-1.0 have problems!!!

I have repeated this many times.

NCSA Telnet problem in Macintosh is the "Allow Line Mode" check box. Do not
allow line mode. Symbtom is: when you leave emacs or vi with Control-z NCSA
Telnet goes to line mode and stays there. In line mode you have to push
return before characters are sent to host. I do not know if PC NCSA Telnet
has same problem. I have seen same same symbtoms sometimes.

I have heard on PC about this "local echo" also, but never seen it by myself.

In PCTCP Software's emulators seems to have some other problems: double
return, or null (^@) at end of every line after newline. I do  not know any
correction to it.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !