Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:18:07 -0600
From:      "Craig Boston" <craig@meoqu.gank.org>
To:        "Dave Hayes" <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: status of ATA subsystem

> This is true. However, stability is an issue AND I also want the newer
> things in -STABLE, like sendmail 8.12 (ducks), and even Soren's ATA
> based cdrecord so I can finally burn CDs on my arbitrary CDRW drive
> here.

You want stability *AND* bleeding edge features?  How about a potion of
immortaility while we're at it? (only joking, of course)

> So I believe the properly phrased questions are
>
> a) "What is the stability status of the current changes to the ATA
> subsystem in -STABLE?".

I think only prolonged testing well tell that.  After all, -STABLE is
technically a development branch.  Just many people (myself included) have
gotten spoiled since it's usually almost as solid as the releases.  Whether
or not a big change such as this was mature enough to be moved from -current
into -stable is another flame^H^H^H^H^Hdiscussion entirely, but remember
that it had to happen eventually.

> b) "We'd like to know the first date (past today) that someone sups
> -STABLE who runs ATA devices, and sees no problems."
>
> and
>
> c) "We'd like to know the last date (past today) that someone sups
> -STABLE who runs ATA devices, and sees problems."

Who is "someone"? :)  I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more people out
there who are having no problems with the new ATA drivers than those who
are.  Generally from what I've seen on the lists and through personal
experience, if you have good and/or common hardware you won't have any
problems.  It's working perfectly for me on a Promise RAID card and Intel
440BX integrated controllers (I forget exactly what ATA chipset they use).
However, I also have some super-discount IDE boards that worked with
release, but have some problems with the new driver.

I'd say to be absolutely sure, pick a machine that's generally reperensative
of the hardware you have (but not too terribly important), do a buildworld
and buildkernel, installkernel, reboot and see if it works.  Try some things
in single-user mode and stress-test the ATA subsystem.  Pretty much all the
problems I've heard about manifest themselves at boot or shortly thereafter,
so if it works at first you probably won't have any problems; and can do the
installworld and mergemaster.  If it doesn't, you can just copy the old
kernel and modules back and everything should fine.

And of course, report your findings so that any issues you encounter can be
fixed! :)

Craig