Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 01:09:22 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbfs breakage in 4.5-stable

After 4.5 was released, i cvsup'd a complete fresh set of sources
(e.g. deleting /usr/src/* and /usr/obj/*),
made world, installed world and a new kernel, and now mount_smbfs errors
out the first time with 'exec format' and if you try it again,
it says 'file exists'. kldstat shows the smbfs.ko not loaded the first time
it fails but it does load the second time, and remains loaded. There is no
error with the module loading.

After perusing the mailing lists, I realized the problem could be caused by
the smbfs port which i didn't remove prior to make and install world.
I pkg_delete'd it, during which it noted that /sbin/mount_smbfs and
/modules/smbfs.ko had been modified.  Thus, the installworld did overwrite
those two files into the 4.5 versions.

on bootup, netsmb_dev loads fine.  Another note: I installed the same world
onto another machine running a completely new install of 4.5-rc3 via samba
export, and now that machine's mount_smbfs is broken too.

any help would be appreciated
Please cc responses to sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net since i don't subscribe to
either -questions or -stable
--