Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 01:37:21 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with ppp, handbook

> Hi gurus,
>
> I've been having problems with my ppp configuration that I was hoping
> someone could help me with.  I also suspect imperfections with my named
> configuration.
>
> I'm running a 2.2.5+ ctm updates to 29th October + Luigi's sound and
> pnp code from 23rd October (I think).
>
> One side problem is that my (source only) upgrade to 2.2.5 does not
> seem to have upgraded the copy of the handbook on my system.  Is there
> any way to stay current with the handbook as well as the source?
>
> My ISP doles out IP numbers dynamically, using IPCP.  This has worked
> fine in the past, but now (following the ppp.log file) it seems that
> that phase of the negotiation never happens at all.
>
> I have ppp set up for demand dial.  Here's my ppp.conf script:
>
> default:
>   set device /dev/cuaa1
>   set speed 115200
>   deny lqr
> # see what this does: should stop dns from bringing the line up
> #  set dfilter 0 deny udp src eq 53
> #  set dfilter 1 deny udp dst eq 53
> #  set dfilter 2 permit 0/0 0/0
> # It worked, but made it too hard to bring the link up...
> #  set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier hdlc LCP IPCP CCP tun
>   set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP tun
> #  set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier IPCP TCP/IP
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 10 \"\" AT&F OK-AT&F-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> kralizec:
> #  disable pred1
> #  deny pred1
> #  disable protocomp
> #  deny protocomp
> #  disable acfcomp
> #  deny acfcomp
> #  disable vjcomp
> #  deny vjcomp
> # New (City) number
>   set phone 92336767
>   set login "TIMEOUT 30 gin:-BREAK-gin: reilly word: xxxxxxx ts\> client\\s1\\s0 ts\> ppp"
>   set timeout 300
>   set server /var/run/internet 111
>   set ifaddr 10.0.0.2/0 10.0.1.1/0 0.0.0.0 0
>   delete ALL
>   add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> This is not significantly different than the script I used with 2.2.2.

You'll need to post your IPCP logs - I can't tell what's going wrong
without them.

> My ppp.linkup looks like:
>
> MYADDR:
>  delete ALL
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>  add MYADDR 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1
>  !bg /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.kralizec
>
> I thought that the problem might be related to the fact that the
> routing tables do not seem to be being cleared of the old addresses
> I've been assigned.  A netstat -rn shows something like:
>
> Routing tables
>
> Internet:
> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> 127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          6     5492       lo0
> 203.26.11.18/32    127.0.0.1          UGSc        0        0       lo0
> 203.26.11.66/32    127.0.0.1          UGSc        0        0       lo0
> 203.26.11.67/32    127.0.0.1          UGSc        0        0       lo0
> 203.26.11.75/32    127.0.0.1          UGSc        0        0       lo0
>
> Actually, this is not representative, because I have killed ppp (to
> force the modem to hang up) (I could not pppctl it last night, there was
> no connection on the unix domain socket), and that seems to have taken
> all reference to tun0 with it.  The stack of IP numbers on the left are
> ones I've been assigned recently, though.

The problem is that ``delete all'' only deletes routes associated
with the tun interface you've been assigned.  Your static routes are
via lo0, and are nothing to do with ppp.

Ppp no longer needs the static loopback route.  It will ``reflect''
packets destined for the interface source address automatcially.  If
however you want to send this stuff to the loopback interface, you
must use ppp.linkdown to remove the route - see below.

> To combat this problem (unsuccessfully) I have created a ppp.linkdown
> file:
>
> default:
>   set ifaddr 10.0.0.2/0 10.0.1.1/0 0.0.0.0 0
>   delete ALL
>   add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> This does not appear to have done anything at all....

You'll need a label of "MYADDR:" - similary to the ppp.linkup rules.
I agree this isn't exactly intuitive :-/

You could probably just get away with "delete MYADDR" (with recent
versions anyway).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;