Date:      09 Sep 2000 06:27:56 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

 * From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>

 * Please let's forget about the 10 perl scripts, 3 acts of congress, and
 * 2 acts of God for a few minutes.  Let's define the problem fully first
 * and then start talking about ways in which we can address them.  I have
 * a feeling that we'll come up with several distinct tasks that we can design
 * together and code in parallel.  For instance, we'll probably end up
 * needing a better (read, more flexible) package format in the long run,
 * but we must define our expectations of it before we jump in and start
 * coding it otherwise we'll be back here next year doing the same thing.
 * If we ever get through hacking hacks that is.

I like the way you put it. :)

 * Let's start by defining a wishlist[1].  I'll start with one very high on
 * my list.  Let's say we have two ports of libfoo.  The only difference
 * between them is that one is built WITH_BAR and the other without. If you
 * look at the pkgballs for each of these maybe 90% of the files in them
 * will be exactly the same.  What I'd like to see is a way to have a base
 * (barebones) libfoo package and a satellite package with only the files
 * that change when built WITH_BAR.
 *
 * Sounds pretty easy so let's take this one step further.  Let's suppose

Is it? ;)  Doing that manually isn't too hand, but doing it
automatically, well I don't even know if that's possible....

My wishlist item #1 would be a good and trusty "upgrade" target.  You
go to a port's directory and type "make upgrade", it will upgrade the
current port by removing the previous version (only if it is from the
same "stream" -- to borrow a term from Nick's message), as well as any
other ports that it depends on that also needs to be updated.  It also
updates the children that depend on this port.  (As we talked, finding
out which child port needs to be updated is not trivial.)

The same thing can be done from packages too.  You say pkg_add -U
<pkg> or something at it will do something similar, only using
packages instead of ports.

Satoshi

P.S. Diverging slightly, item #2 will be to have more people look at
     the errorlogs and extra files page to fix stuff.  (Of course,
     this is not a port infrastructure issue, but.... ;)  It's not
     good that 5% to 10% of our ports always seem to be broken for one
     reason or another....