Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/31265: crontab(1) doesn't decribe format of allow and deny files.

The following reply was made to PR docs/31265; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 03 Jan 2002 15:31:38 -0800

 Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org> writes:

 > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:17:27PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 > > [stuff at this level]
 > >
 > > $ hd /var/cron/allow | tail -2
 > > 00000370  20 72 6f 6f 74 2e 0a 72  6f 6f 74 0a 6a 6f 6a 6f  | root..root.jojo|
 > > 00000380
 >
 > pressure (2) :  hd /var/cron/allow | tail -2
 > 00000000  72 6f 6f 74 0a 6d 61 72  63 73 0a |root.marcs.| 0000000b
 >
 > Here I see my output is slightly different to yours, though I am not
 > sure why...

 I consider this to be conclusive evidence that your testing was
 erroneous so that your only explicit criticism of the original patch
 should be ignored.  You apparently have not tested with a user name at
 the end of the file without a trailing newline character as you claimed.

 I still think that user names must each start at the beginning of a line
 and must be followed immediately by a newline character -- all other
 lines are ignored.  (They probably also must be in some user account
 config file(s) but that should go without saying.)

 As for the state of the PR, I'm still not aware of anything particularly
 wrong with the original patch and hope that committers will consider
 that patch.  I'll consider modifying it in response to criticisms of it
 and suggestions for its improvement, of course.

 In case you're still interested, that "0a" just after "73" in your "hd"
 output is the "newline" character at issue.  Your file ends with a
 newline character (so your user name is used); mine doesn't (so my user
 name is ignored).

 As you can see, newline at the end of a file is a troublesome thing.
 Some programs consider newline to be a part of a line and insist on
 ending the file with a line with a newline.  My editor (XEmacs) will not
 move the cursor below the "jojo" line of my file, but will move it below
 the "marcs" line of yours and will increment the line count in doing so.
 The "wc" program would show one more line in yours than mine.  The
 "diff" program seems to see a blank line in both files and shows two
 blank lines as being different.  Your shell (and my pdksh) seem to
 ignore the empty line so it doesn't show as a blank line.

 (I'll go to private mail for some social debugging.)

 > I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.
 >        -- Andy Rooney

 I've been listening to Andy for at least 25 years and even read one of
 his books.  He's the kind of guy that has likely also said the exact
 opposite because it's just as profound or cute or whatever he's going
 for at the time.  (In fact, "kind" and "right" are more important than
 the other in different circumstances.)  He's made a career out of
 complaining about what people do wrong on a show that does the same and
 they all have found it important to be unkind and, worse, unfair.