Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 18:17:25 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

At 07:59 AM 3/11/97 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[... on source distributions in sysinstall...]

>And depending on what you choose, you get tossed into another area of
>Q&A about where you want to receive the CTM updates or where the CVSup
>files should go, etc and so forth, and it's all automated.  Once the
>user has chosen which "source program" to apply for, the updates just
>happen automagically from then on out.
>
>That's the way I'd like it to be, anyhow, but unfortunately all of
>that also takes time and work, too...  Heck, it took me over two years
>just to get a registration screen into sysinstall.  I don't see an
>immediate opportunity for adding easy automated source tracking.  :-)
>
>					Jordan
>
>P.S. That's also my sneaky way of saying that if anyone else had a
>penchant for hacking this sort of thing into sysinstall, I'd be more
>than happy to point them in the right directions. :)

Weren't you planning to write a replacement for sysinstall?  In that case,
it sounds somewhat wasteful to put that much work into it.  I was thinking
more along the lines of just adding a simple bindist - which I assume is
fairly simple.  It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it would be better
than nothing.
(Patches not included as I wouldn't have the diskspace to test them.)

OTOH, if you are going to keep working on the present sysinstall, I agree
that something more elaborate would be nice - but do we need that if nobody
has time/inclination to make it?  (Yeah, I'd like to put my code a bit
further along where my mouth should have been, but I have had my mouth too
many places already and have to catch up with it first.)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org