Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:58:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Austin <indydog125@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   creating a disk partition

I thought I was being smart by not allocating all of
a 20Gb drive. I used 9Gb in 6 different partitions -
(7 including swap). These were assigned on
installation
as partitions a, d, e, f, g & h (and of course, swap).

I figured that when I needed more space in the future,
I would create another partition, and mount it under
some portion of the file system where needed.

Alright, so I ran out of space in /usr, and my
/usr/local is taking up most of the 2Gb partition. So,
off I go to create another partition - this time 6Gb
and (eventually) mount it under /usr/local (moving
everything over and back).

I found a manual on www.freebsd.org that suggested to
use sysinstall to create more partitions. I go off and
do that, however, when I create the new partition, it
create it as "X" instead what I am expecting to be
something like "ad0s1i" or "j" or some letter. I say
to myself: "self, that's odd, but the manual says to
hit escape repeatedly to get out of sysinstall and it
will automatically build the new filesystem after
that"

The only problem is that the new fs doesn't get built.
In fact, I get an error that /dev/X doesn't exist...

Now, am I hooped - meaning I have to go re-install to
create larger partitions from the onset, or am I doing
something wrong (or missing a post on this)???

Thanks for any help you can provide!