Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:18:33 +0100
From:      Edward Tomasz =?utf-8?Q?Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@freebsd.org>
To:        "Frank (lists)" <lists@searchy.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iSCSI initiator multipath

On 0629T1330, Frank (lists) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a  HA setup with LIO on linux. The exact set up is can be found
> here: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rbd/iscsi-target-cli/
>
> I'm trying to use FreeBSD as initiator for this, but I can't manage to
> get it working. Is this kind of setup supported by the FreeBSD
> initiator? From another mailinglist a response  was about multipath
> probably not enabling ALUA.

FreeBSD doesn't support ALUA.  You can do multipathing in two ways:

1. Export your LUNs via two (or more) different paths (for example
   via two different target portal IP addresses), on the initiator
   side set up both iSCSI sessions in the usual way (like without
   multipathing), add kern.iscsi.fail_on_disconnection=1 to
   /etc/sysctl.conf, and set up gmultipath on top of LUNs reachable
   via those sessions

2. Set up the target so it redirects (sends "Target moved temporarily"
   login responses) to the target portal it considers active.  Then
   set up the initiator (single session) to either one; the target
   will "bounce it" to the right place.  You don't need gmultipath
   in this case, because from the initiator point of view there's only
   one iSCSI session at any time.