Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:59:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zimbra Port

Chris,=0A=0AI dug into it hard just a few days ago.=0A=0AHere's their issue=
s:=0A=0ALike most people who are "solely" Linux (I'm not solely anything, 2=
5+ years in sysadmin, architecture, internet engineering, etc.), they don't=
 understand where /opt came from and what its true, original purpose was.=
=A0 (Additional OS enhancement software - directory was created circa 1990)=
.=A0 Most of the linux world believes that all additional software goes int=
o /opt.=0A=0AHappily, we have nullfs but more happily, ZFS.=0A=0AZFS creati=
ng /opt/zimbra or creating a zpool and zfs'ing it, whatever, solves this is=
sue.=A0 (In other words, poor use of auto-configuration tools and make vari=
ables that allow you to define a DESTDIR instead of hardcoding it.)=A0 Perf=
orming a softlink or other things causes the install to totally blow up.=0A=
=0AThey guy who did the attempt at FreeBSD installation, did a decent job a=
t figuring this out.=A0 Everything, performing his procedure works as almos=
t as directed.=A0 =0A=0AThings that are not to be liked about it:=0A=0AHe b=
uilds specific packages for the install and bundles them up with the instal=
l.=0AHe creates three packages for the install, the builddeps, rundeps and =
source.=0AHe then almost forces you to use these packages and his 'blessed =
ports packages" that he created to get it to install correctly instead of j=
ust using ports.=0A=0AAfter all this is installed with pkg_add (I couldn't =
find any indication of pkgng work) The supporting software is installed and=
 ready to go.=0A=0ANow, you get to the Zimbra source.=A0 (All 3 software bu=
ndles are tar'd and gzip'd)=A0 Once the ZCS is unpacked, you run install.sh=
 in its root directory and away it goes.=A0 =0A=0AOnce you get by some very=
 strange errors (DNS not configured but it was, you have to force it to be =
your domain, and some other strangeness), you work out those few issues and=
 find no errors in the install log(s).=A0 Awesome....=0A=0AThe last part of=
 it is the thing starts up and integrates everything....=A0 (This is someth=
ing truly impressive:=A0 Apache, OpenSSL (certs get gen'd) , LDAP, MySqeel,=
 Postfix, all the spam, virus, etc packages that go with a mail system, and=
 on and on.....=A0 It then tells me everything is running and I have to con=
nect to https://<host>:7071..... it just hangs at that point....=A0 *shrug*=
=A0 =0A=0AI've tried debugging it and I've tried over 10 times of going ove=
r possible errors.=A0 Nothing.=A0 I tried contacting the author but there s=
eems to be an access issue.=0A=0AI'll try again soon, however, my company i=
s being built right now....=A0 so I have VERY, VERY LIMITED time.=A0 (Yes, =
it's PC-BSD and FreeBSD based)=A0 I was hoping to have a full collaboration=
 suite for MS exchange and Outlook drop-in replacement and this looked very=
 promising.=A0 *sigh*=0A=0AP.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_______________________________=
_=0A From: Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>=0ATo: Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@y=
ahoo.com> =0ACc: "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org> =0ASent: Friday, F=
ebruary 8, 2013 2:23 PM=0ASubject: Re: Zimbra Port=0A =0AOn 29 January 2013=
 15:22, Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com> wrote:=0A> Hi,=0A>=0A> It look=
s like they are soooo close here.=A0 Can't ports pick this up and put it in=
 the collection?=0A>=0A> http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_on_FreeBSD=0A>=
=0A> If you look at the Zimbra site for threads there are quite few with pe=
ople asking for Zimbra on FreeBSD.=0A=0AAt a glance it's a little less triv=
ial than "picking it up and putting=0Ait in the collection" :)=0A=0AIt prob=
ably wouldn't be too difficult, but someone would need to make=0Aa tarball =
of the sources available, which may have licensing issues...=0Aperhaps you =
could ask the author how he made the packages?=0A=0AChris