Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:27:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jack Raats <jack@jarasoft.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating a program

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Jack Raats wrote:

> I have the following problem. Iıve installed dovecot using pkg install
> dovecot.
> After installing I used svn to update the /usr/src and /usr/ports.
> Portmaster ­a does not update dovecot which I installed using pkg.

Does it need to be updated?  Remember, after installation it does not
matter whether it was installed from a port or a package, it's all the
same.  If the package was the latest version, portmaster will not update
it.

Possibly the package been locked to prevent changes.

> How can I update dovecot?
> (Iım mentioning dovecot but in fact there are more programs I have to
> update)

Mixing pre-built packages with building from ports can be complicated,
and it is usually easier to stick with one method.