Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 10:33:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Dr Freebsd <hometeam@techpower.net>, David Goddard <d.goddard@ic.ac.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto problems and boot-time error messages

On Sat, Sep 20, 1997 at 04:19:42PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

>>> This sounds like you've got an "ifconfig_tun0=" line with something
>>> on it.  Read the handbook.  You want an empty "ifconfig_tun0=" and an
>>> empty default router.  You want to disable routed and then create
>>> /etc/start_if.tun0 and put your ppp -auto command in there.
>>
>> Not necessarily.  If he's using -auto with dynamic IP addressing, he
>> want to guess a destination IP address and make it his default route.
>> When he initiates dialing, ppp will remove that route and replace it
>> with the correct one.
>
> Yes.... and what's that got to do with boot up messages ?  The above
> message is when the "route add default" fails.  This fails because, I
> would think /etc/start_if.tun0 is already there and has already added
> a default route.  All of this is explained in the handbook.
>
>>> You want to read the handbook :-)
>>
>> We need to revise the handbook :-)
>
> That's a bit of a gratuitous statement.  What exactly is wrong with
> it ?  It's been revised several times recently.

It still rambles a bit.  I've just spent 20 minutes reading it, and
yes, I found all of the things that you say.  I'd guess that at least
half the people who read it would miss some of it.  Until just a few
days ago, I thought it was impossible to set up automatic dialling
with dynamic IP addresses.  Also, the importance of the ' delete ALL'
entry in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup is not made clear.

/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sample contains the following:

# Otherwide, simply add peer as default gateway.
#
MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add the ' delete ALL' to this file?

Greg