Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 10:29:32 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can drive with 6.1 be directly transferred from one machine to another?

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Another valid question I suppose is whether or not I can move the
> machine from a box with a Celeron CPU to one with an AMD CPU (not sure
> if vendors matter even though ISAs are the same).
> -Garrett

I guess it would depend on the AMD processor. If it's 32bits then it
falls into i386 category, same as the Celerons. If it is 64bits then it
*might* still work in 32bits mode (backward compatibility). In the
latter case I'd get and AMD64 copy of FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev
Webanoide

Telephone: +61 (0)3 62252501
Mobile Phone: +61 (0)4 38255158
E-Mail: mikhailg@webanoide.org
Web: http://www.webanoide.org

PGP Key ID: 0x4E148A3B
PGP Key Fingerprint: D96B 7C14 79A5 8824 B99D 9562 F50E 2F5D 4E14 8A3B