Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:57:41 +0100
From:      Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using a laptop as a main machine

Hi,

I'm definitely using a laptop as my main machine (though I'm still running
Windows on that one, shame on me...), simply because I like to be able to
work at home, at work, or on the road, and always have the same
environment, without the need for synchronisation of files and this and
that and always something missing etc.

The exact specs of the laptop vary quite a bit depending on what you use
the laptop for, and how you "travel" with it: just back and forth between
home and work, or also on the road/in trains/plains etc, in many different
places, and so on. It also depends on your ability to carry something heavy :-)

In my case, I really wanted a full desktop replacement, so:
- most important thing, a high-resolution screen (1600x1200 is just so
great), and a full-size keyboard. This eliminates all the "ultra-portable"
laptops for me
- a decent processor, a bit of RAM, a decent size HD
- a DVD drive is useful for watching DVDs on the road :-) A combo drive
allows you to backup things easily
- if you use your laptop to connect to devices on the road (headless
servers, routers, etc.) don't forget a serial port (apparently there are
some decent USB/serial adapters now too, but I've heard about compatibility
issues with FreeBSD depending on the chip used), more and more laptops
don't have one
- if you use it often in places without power (trains, airports...),
battery life is important
- an infrared port is useful for things like PDA synchronisation,
connection to GSM phones, etc. Many laptops don't have one anymore!
- the ability to have *built-in* (i.e. mini-PCI) WLAN is good, it avoids
having a card sticking out (easy to break, or a hassle to fit in the bag...)
- being able to change parts (RAM, HD...) easily is a good thing. Some
laptops are just impossible to open...
- a firewire port is not absolutely necessary, but it really helps for
connecting external hard disks (for full partition backups, for instance)
- if you use your laptop on the read (and not only at home/in the office),
make sure you like the pointing device :-)

I currently use a Dell Inspiron 8200 (had an 8000 before), and it has all
of the above (including two batteries). Quite heavy, though, but really a
fully-spec'ed machine for a decent price (equivalent config for other
manufacturers are really a lot more expensive, even though they probably
have their benefits). They also have a much smaller and lighter 4150 (about
the same price for a similar config, though), but it does not have a
firewire port, and I wanted to be able to have two batteries and the DVD
drive at the same time, which is not possible on the 4150.

Hope that helps,

Jacques.

At 19:24 07/11/2002, Bakul Shah wrote:
>I am getting very tired of enegry wasting hot desktops with
>noisy, dusty unreliable fans, and the need for a separate UPS
>and all that and think it is past time to switch to laptops
>almost completely.  I am sure a lot of you have gone through
>the same transition!  So some questions for people who mainly
>use a laptop and lug it around everywhere: what features do
>you find most useful?  I am not looking for specific model
>recommendations but it would be nice to know just how well
>your current laptop meets your needs and what would you
>change to make it better.
>
>I realize this is a broad topic and there will be different
>personal preferences but I am in fact looking for different
>points of views.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-- bakul

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-mobile" in the body of the message

-- Jacques Caron, IP Sector Technologies
    Join the discussion on public WLAN open global roaming: