Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:04:43 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>, Lasse Laursen <laursen@netgroup.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software raid 1 on root partition?

On Friday, 12 July 2002 at 19:44:13 +0300, Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
> Hello, Jim C. Nasby!
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:10:15AM -0500, you wrote:
>
>> No, there is no support for software raid on the root partition. This is
>> on the vinum wishlist, though, so hopefully it will happen at some
>> point.
> I don't think so, it seems that grog@FreeBSD.org forgot about vinum and
> don't want to fix even known bugs (you can look at cvs logs via
> cvsweb.freebsd.org).

There's a difference between "forgetting" and "not having time".
Remember also that this is a volunteer project, and that other people
are also capable of fixing bugs.

> Sources haven't been updated for over 2 years (those that are newer
> are only cosmetic changes).

No, that's not correct.  Bugs get fixed.

> Also, Greg don't accept any PRs on vinum, rejecting it with reason
> 'pilot error' or 'read here'.

No, I only reject pilot errors and RTFMs with this kind of message.
I've taken a look at the Vinum archives, and the only hint I have had
of messages from you was about 3 weeks ago, where you got upset about
a harmless message at boot time.  There was also an anonymous PR
(37231) relating to mirroring on vn devices.  To this I replied:

Greg Lehey, 20 April 2002

	Please use real user names when submitting problem reports.

	This is pilot error.  You have created a vn device with
	exactly 16 MB.  You then try to create subdisks of exactly 16
	MB on each.  Vinum uses the first 265 sectors for
	configuration information, so there's not enough space left
	for 16 MB subdisks.  For once, the error message is accurate.

	Your claim that this works when using regular disks is
	incorrect.

	PR closed.

See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=37231 for the full PR.

Do you have an issue with this?  If you have other issues, please let
me know.

> With vinum I've already had 3 unrecoverable crashes (on mirroring,
> which is supposed to be 'safe-me' solution), and 5 kernel panics
> (yes, Greg, I have vinum compiled as kernel module, not compiled
> in).

But you don't appear to have reported them.

Greg