Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:07:45 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port upgrade method question

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 07:22 pm, John Bleichert wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Darren Shepard wrote:
> > Subject: Re: port upgrade method question
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:07:40AM -0500,
> >
> >    John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com> writes:
> > | I've CVSup'd my system and my ports tree (ports-all). Now I'm
> > | using
> > |
> > | # pkg_version -v
> > |
> > | to see which installed ports have an upgrade available. Working
> > | with this info, I go into each port I wish to upgrade and
> > |
> > | # portupgrade -R port-name
> > |
> > | I can't do a
> > |
> > | # portupgrade -aR
> > |
> > | as I can't leave Thinkpad up and running in one place long
> > | enough to build all of them.
> > |
> > | I'm iteratively using the steps above to upgrade my ports tree.
> > | Is there a better/different way? Am I skipping any steps? Since
> > | I'm upgrading one port at a time, do I need to run portsdb?
> > | Also, I see references in the archives to
> >
> > FWIW, I do something like the following:
> >
> >   1. `portversion -l '<' -c > /tmp/portup.sh'
> >   2. edit /tmp/portup.sh to taste
> >   3. `/bin/sh /tmp/portup.sh'
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I was fiddling with this tactic on my
> workstation at home which has a great deal more ports installed
> than my laptop.
>
> > | # cd /usr/ports
> > | # make index
> > |
> > | Do I need to do this? Everything seems to be working well, I'm
> > | just wondering if my method is proper.
> > |
> > | Thanks - JB
> >
> > I think portsdb(1) answers your INDEX questions:
>
> <snip>
>
> Yes, it does. Thanks. I'm slowly putting all the pieces of staying
> current with a large ports tree together. For now, I'm dealing with
> past mistakes and their results, such as this:
>
> root:~ > pkg_info | grep qt
> qt-3.0.5_3          A C++ X GUI toolkit
> qt-3.0.5_5          A C++ X GUI toolkit
> root:~ > pkg_info -R qt-3.0.5_3
> Information for qt-3.0.5_3:
>
> Required by:
> kdebase-3.0.5
> kdelibs-3.0.5_1
>

> root:~ > pkg_info -R qt-3.0.5_5
> Information for qt-3.0.5_5:
>
> Required by:
> arts-1.0.4,1
> kdebase-3.0.5
> kdegames-3.0.4
> kdegraphics-3.0.4
> kdelibs-3.0.5_1
> kdemultimedia-3.0.4
> kdeutils-3.0.4_1
> koffice-1.2,1
> kstars-0.9
>
> Odd that kdebase and kdelibs require qt-3.0.5_3 *and* qt-3.0.5_5. I
> wonder if this is a result of me climbing the learning curve, or an
> anomaly in the kde dependencies? Does this discussion belong on
> freebsd-ports? Doesn't seem like it.

There isn't anything broken with that port, so it doesn't belong on=20
-ports. It is a user port installation question and belongs on=20
-questions.=20

You have somehow installed both of them. You need to have portupgrade=20
installed and then run "pkgdb -F" and let it delete the old=20
dependancy and keep the files. Portupgrade requires a current INDEX.=20
If you have cvsuped ports-all and didn't upgrade your INDEXs, you=20
will need to=20

cd /usr/ports
make index
portsdb -u=20

or=20

portsdb -uU

Right now "-U" produces a large number of messages and creates an=20
INDEX that is 8 ports smaller than the INDEX generated by "make=20

Kent

Kent

> Thanks for the pointers!
>
> JB