Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2015 18:41:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install issues

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:06:02 -0400, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 05:36:44PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 10:18:49 -0453.75, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> > > I entered
> > > 'ufs:/dev/da0s1a rw' & it proceeded to boot the installer.
> >
> > If I remember correctly, the boot process will mount root
> > read-only, this is the default behaviour of single-user mode.
> > That's why there is no "rw" option at this prompt; "rw" will
> > therefore be ignored. Otherwise, the options from /etc/fstab
> > would apply.
>
> I thought mountroot (prompt? loader.conf option) took a list of
> filesystems to attempt to mount. Spaces between the possible roots.
> So 'rw' would be examined only if the first filesystem wasn't
> mountable.

Hmmm... if I read /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c correctly,
it's around line 1850, the path for the root partition is
set to "/" and the mount options to "ro" via mount_arg().
So no matter what you enter, it will be ignored if the
first match is in the form "<fstype>:<device>" and can
be mounted (read-only), see vfs_mountroot_ask() in the same
file, around line 1900.

Loder options (set via /boot/loader.conf or interactively)
are being parsed as environmental variables and also considered
in this process.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany