Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:02:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andria <andria@atlas.comet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        andria@comet.net
Subject:   Apache's htpasswd file

Hello.  We're running both FreeBSD and Linux web servers here, and I
recently ran into a problem moving a site from one machine to the other.
Some of the directories were protected with an htpasswd file, where
passwords had been encrypted with FreeBSD's MD5 crypt routines.  It goes
without saying that they didn't work when they got transferred to the
Linux box.  So, is there an available script to convert from MD5 to DES,
or can someone give me hints on writing one?  Or, am I just going to have
to re-input all of these passwords manually?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Sorry if my cryptographic ignorance
is showing...

Andria Thomas
Comet.Net

---