Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 1996 06:50:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable Users)
Subject:   Re: gdb broken in latest -stable?

>I've run into a strange problem on -stable: I can't even start
>programs under gdb:
>  Program terminated with signal SIGBUS, Bus error.

   I can't reproduce this:

[implode:davidg] cat foo.c
main()
{
        int a = 2, b = 2;
        int c;

        printf("first line\n");
        printf("second line\n");
        printf("third line\n");
        printf("fourth line\n");

        c = a + b;
        printf("The answer is %d\n", c);
}

[implode:davidg] gdb foo
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x165c: file foo.c, line 6.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /local/home/davidg/foo

Breakpoint 1, main () at foo.c:6
6               printf("first line\n");
(gdb) step
first line
7               printf("second line\n");
(gdb) step
second line
8               printf("third line\n");
(gdb) step
third line
9               printf("fourth line\n");
(gdb) step
fourth line
12              printf("The answer is %d\n", c);
(gdb) step
The answer is 4
13      }
(gdb) step
0x10d3 in start ()
(gdb) step
Single stepping until exit from function start,
which has no line number information.

Program exited with code 020.
(gdb) quit

   This is with a kernel that is up to date as of the time that I'm writing
this (July 3rd, 6:50am PST). My gdb binary is about a week old, but there
haven't been any commits to an area of the source tree that would affect
this (as far as I know).

-DG

David Greenman