Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 21:31:54 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Package installation (port) problems...

Recently, any package I install via the ports collection gets this error:

       <package name> is already installed - perhaps an older version?
       If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
       this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of imap-uw-2002c1,1
       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
       in your environment or the "make install" command line.

And this is with new packages that have never been installed or new
revisions of packages.   So, something got corrupted somewhere; just not
sure where.

I have the pkg tools installed, but ran that to fix and it still happens.