Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:37:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel no longer boots on one of my machines... ata, other problems

Matthew Dillon writes:
|     Well guys, I tried upgrading one of my older machines today to the
|     latest 4.0.  It was running an older 4.0 kernel (Nov 29 1999).

I ran into a similar problem when upgrading my server at home.  It is an
old 486 with an Intel Saturn chipset.  I found the IDE drive via
ad0 and failed the mount with error 6 or whatever.  I then put the same
drive in a machine with a P5 & Intel TX chipset.  In this setup ad0
was found and it mounted the rootfs with no trouble.  Since this is
a machine that needs to be up I switched to the wd driver which worked
like charm except for re-enabling it.

So in my configuration it is not a MAKDEV/fstab stale issue (I rebuild
all of that) and it works with a PCI driver but not with the Saturn ISA
driver.

My successful boot and probe is:
  wdc0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0xa0ffa0ff on isa0
  wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DTTA-351350>, multi-block-16
  wd0: 12897MB (26414640 sectors), 26205 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

Now I recall in discussions about pcmcia stuff and the various patches
flying around that there was a 32/16 bit access mode issue.  Also I think
while the pcmcia was in 32 bit mode hard disk access stopped working
and maybe flash (since my external IDE hard drive work then it didn't
then it did again).  I think this correlated to when it was switched
to 16 bit then it started working again.

Anyways more work and lots of testing needs to be done.  Even though I like
the new ata stuff and use it on all machines (except for one) this is scary
since a bunch of 4.0 users could get screwed with older good hardware.

Tonight I will try to define
	ATA_16BIT_ONLY
in my kernel and try to boot with ata.  This may have to be set in GENERIC
for installs to work ... or the ata driver learn how to figure this out
automatically on the fly.

BTW this almost hosed me.

Doug A.