Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:18:54 -0800
From:      "Donald Burr of Borg - http://www.borg-cube.com/" <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

Ok, I'm sure by now that everyone has seen the "Walnut Creek is merging
with BSDi" news, whether through Jordan's announcement or on /. or
whatever.  My personal opinion is "HELL YEAH!!!!"  Both FreeBSD and BSDi
can only stand to gain through this.  And it will help quash the
"Fragmented BSD" argument that those Linux weenies love to use.

But I do have a concern, and it is an admittedly selfish and self-centered
one.  How will this affect committers, such as myself?  Admittedly I
haven't been doing much committing lately (there's been a LOT of weirdness
has been going on in my life lately), but I have been working at getting
back into things, slowly but surely.  And I'd like to keep going at it :)

* Will we have to renegotiate our contracts?  Will there be new
rules/regulations to
   read?  Will there be forms that I have to sign?  Etc...
* What about the development tools?  Will we still be using CVS,
send-pr/GNATS, ssh
   logins on freefall, etc.?
* And the mailing lists?  Any change there?
* What about Ports?  This is probably my biggest concern, as Ports is the
area where I am
   doing my work.
* Etc.

That's what I want to know. :)

- dburr (watching the /. trolls emerge from underneath their rocks and
other slimy
   places, wheeeee! :))
--
Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com> Resistance is Futile | FreeBSD: The