Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   OPTIONS, LATEST_LINK, and RCng

While updating the www/dansguardian* ports to use the new OPTIONS and
LATEST_LINK variables, I noticed that the www/squid port now uses RCng
for the startup script.  This is good news, because it means I can
rename the dansguardian startup script back to dansguardian.sh and
just use RCng to make sure it's started after squid.

Then I noticed that the squid.sh script reads like gobbledygook and
that I have no idea what it is doing.  :)  (And here I used to think I
was a decent shell scripter.)  Same with the rc_subr and rc scripts.

Is there any documentation that explains what these things are doing,
what the minimum requirements are for an RCng-style startup script,
and so on.  Something along the lines of the info in the Porter's
Handbook for creating ports?  Something more than what is already
available (which isn't all that much that I've been able to find /
understand)??  Even a pointer to a port that has a fully-commented
RCmg-style startup script would be helpful.

Also, is anyone in the process of updating the Porter's Handbook to
include sections on the OPTIONS variable and the associated "make
config" target, and the LATEST_LINK variable that were introduced in
the past month or so?  Took me a lot of sleuthing through other port
Makefiles to figure those ones out.  :)  (Thanks to the squid port
maintainer -- your well-commented Makefile helped a lot.)  If not,
would I need to submit fully-formatted text in DocBook / SGML or could
I just submit a PR with possible text to use??

Thanks for reading this far.  :D

--
Freddie Cash
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca