Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:28:06 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        dg@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: daily panics, ffs_valloc: dup alloc - Good news!

> I'll try getting it with a fixit floppy.

please, it's rather crucial for debugging this.

> But, if you'll read my previous writeup; you'll see that a fs_cgmask
>of 0xffffffff causes a problem in the cgstart macro:
>
>#define cgstart(fs, c)                                                  \
>        (cgbase(fs, c) + (fs)->fs_cgoffset * ((c) & ~((fs)->fs_cgmask)))
>
>effectively eliminating the fs_cgoffset value.  This is what we're
>guessing is the problem.

The cgoffset is only there to make sure that all of the superblock
copies are not on the same head.  Since we only have one head that
field (correctly) doesn't apply.

I must admit that I don't really know what to look for, but if I get
the data on the filesystem, at least I can start to dig through
the code looking for trouble.

I'm actually thinking about making a version of ufs that has all this
head/track/sector knowledge pulled out, it really obfuscates the code
a lot.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.