Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:15:51 +0000
From:      Michael Wells <mwells@zeus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
Subject:   Re: [Q] ntlworld and dhcp configuaration

Hi Jon,

Firstly, rest assured it works - I use an NTL Cable Modem with FreeBSD
4.1. My invocation is simply "dhclient rl0", where rl0 is my network
card attached to the cable modem.

/stand/dhclient-script is run after the details have been obtained from
DHCP.

It sounds to me like you aren't reaching the DHCP server, because
dhclient is fundamentally very simple - you can barely go wrong. Use
ifconfig -a to check what your network cards are doing. Don't set a
default gateway in /etc/rc.conf (that's a common gaff) and don't run any
firewall in ipfw...should get you something working, hopefully.

Cheers
Michael.

--
Michael Wells, <mwells@zeus.com>                  Zeus Technology Ltd
Zeus Professional Services                Universally Serving the Net